This is a small update to Typecast just to correct a few simple things.
- Retry saving configuration file if there’s an error.
- Limit the station logo’s width (allowing more space for other columns).
- Fix: Prevent multiselect in Stations window (until it’s actually supported).
- Fix: Do not crash when user clicks off schedules while context menu is displayed.
Typecast 3.1.0 wraps up the Windows Media Center features and has a few new features on top of that.
- Added ability to search for only Premieres.
- Added ability to search for only Episodes (i.e., serial programs).
- Watch for changes to WMC files with cached information (recordings, schedules, requests, and responses) for when synchronization services take a while to synchronize.
- Don’t request recording information twice after requesting a recording.
- Improved accuracy of handling offline requests/responses files.
This is a minor release that fixes a few minor issues. If you use the WMC features, be sure to download the updated Typecast WMC server as well. See 12noon.com for the full release notes.
Typecast now offers commands to tell your Windows Media Center to record a single program or a series. It may not be perfect (yet), but after two months of work, it’s good to let people start using it and to get some feedback.
I’ve added a tab to the Settings window for configuring the e-mail settings. You don’t need to deal with the raw configuration file. Typecast is now also better at maintaining settings across updates. (This update might lose some, but after this, it should remember them.)
- Warn user if WMC’s Use Guide option isn’t set as needed to schedule recordings.
- When recording a series, record only new episodes (not reruns).
- Programs that were recorded with an error now show all airings of that program (or episode) as an error.
- Added a Settings tab for the Mail plugin (instead of editing Mail.config directly).
- Automatically maintain mail settings after an update. (Eliminated Mail.config file.)
- Fix: Excluding a series didn’t also exclude when that program has an episode without season/episode info.
- Fix: Mail plugin overwrote e-mail addresses with the default e-mail address.
- Fix: Cast and crew had some corrupted ordinals and didn’t allow more than 99.
- Fix: Continue to show recordings of a program after actual airing is no longer in listings.
- Fix: Handle WMC exception that could prevent returning recording information.
- Fix: Occasional crash when bad Internet connection during update.
- Fix: Keep Mail and WMC server options after an upgrade.
- Fix: Ignore lineups that return an error code in the Lineups window.
As you’ve already seen, Typecast can get recording information from Windows Media Center and display what programs in your search results will be or have been recorded. I’m working on adding more Windows Media Center features to Typecast. In the next version, Typecast will be able to tell your Windows Media Center (via a small “Typecast WMC Server” component running on your WMC) to record a single program or to record a series. The biggest advantage Typecast will have over similar utilities (e.g., the no-longer-available Ceton My Media Center) is that Typecast will not require WMC to be running at the same time as Typecast. Typecast can use your file synchronization service (e.g., OneDrive, Google Drive, Syncthing, etc.) to communicate even though one of them is offline. I hope to release this in February 2019.
After that, I think I’ll add an option for Typecast to automatically schedule recordings of programs that appear in your search results. For example, if you have a search for new five-star movies released after 2017, you will be able to tell Typecast to automatically tell WMC to record any movie that appears in that search’s results.
Anyway, in order to prepare for this release, please be sure that you’re running the latest version. In the next release, I will delete some code that I added to migrate old files and convert old data formats. Rather than try to carry that code around forever (because I can’t test it forever), I’m deleting it. If you’re running the latest version of Typecast, all of your files and data are up to date, and you won’t care about that old code going away.
Typecast 2.9.1 has been released. This version ignores invalid lineups in the Lineups window. I’ve also added an optional Windows Media Center component so that Typecast can display information about your scheduled and completed recordings on your WMC machine. Please see 12noon.com for details.
I fixed an occasional crash that could occur when a program finished airing.
This version should correct any future issues with automatic upgrades. I apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any issues upgrading to this version, please see the Change History or contact me via the Support page.
- Added button to clean all stations that aren’t downloaded from the database.
- Added “swatch” to Search window’s Display tab showing how it will look.
- Center images in color “swatches” in list of schedules.
- When moving configuration folder, added option to use the destination instead or cancel.
- Fix: Synchronize download state of stations that are in more than one lineup.
- Fix: Handle timeout when testing Internet connection.
- Fix: Another updater issue required downgrading another package.
This is unfortunate, and I apologize for the inconvenience. I don’t (yet) have a way to test upgrades without publishing a release. Unfortunately, I upgraded the installer I use and it had a problem. This broke upgrades for Typecast. (I will make it a priority to devise a way for me to test the upgrades before I publish them.)
When you run Typecast, you’ll see a message about an error with SharpCompress. You can ignore this and continue to use Typecast, but it will never be able to upgrade. In order to upgrade, you can either download the full installer from 12noon.com or follow these steps:
- Open the Windows File Explorer.
- Go to the Typecast installation folder:
- You should see at least two “app-2.8.x” folders. For example:
- Open the lowest-numbered one. (In this example,
- Run the
Typecast.exe in that folder. It should upgrade to 2.8.5 (or whatever the latest release is). (If this doesn’t work, download the full installer.)
- If it upgrades to 2.8.5, you need to
download and unzip this file in the new
app-2.8.5 folder. (Yes, confirm that you want to overwrite the files.) If it upgrades to a later version, it’s already been fixed and you don’t need to do anything.
If you have any issues, please contact me using the Support page at 12noon.com.
2.8.2 – 2.8.5
Added option to relocate the
Typecast.xml configuration file.
Improved clarity of menu commands.
Fix: Prevent user saving a search with no criteria.
Fix: Update default parameters of plugins when selecting them in the Actions tab.
The latest update includes:
* Added option to relocate the
Typecast.xml configuration file.
* Improved clarity of menu commands.
* Fix: Prevent user saving a search with no criteria.
* Fix: Update default parameters of plugins when selecting them in the Actions tab.